Forum - General Questions

Question

Indy boxset: audio problems in Last Crusade??

Hello everybody.
I would like to know if You have listened to the new edition of Indiana Jones and the last Crusade, because in my opinion there's a big audio problem: the sound is not good on the right, all the music is well perfomed in the the left, but the right audio channel is very poor, both in volume, details and dinamic.

Is this a real problem, or is only my copy wrong-mastered?

tyuan74, December 2, 2008; 2:06 PM

Answers

I didn't notice any sound problems.
To make sure, I just listened to it through headphones and I can assure you Last Crusade doesn't contain the glitch you describe.

Have you tried playing it on other equipment?

rinse_dream, December 3, 2008; 12:57 PM

I will try, thank you!

tyuan74, December 3, 2008; 3:40 PM

If possible, you should single out a particular section of a particular track (like "track 4, 1:10-1:15) of the disc which reveals the problems you described most clearly. If it is a problem common to all sets, other owners will find it easier to find what you mean on their own disc. (Having said that, I myself cannot be of any help here as I haven't received my box yet).

Urs

handstand, December 3, 2008; 3:46 PM

Hello, Urs,

The problem regards the entire score and you don’ t need any particular point in reason to locate it. Just starting from the first track you should be able to listen to what tyuan is talking about.

The channels right and left were bad balanced (in my copy): the sound "stage” (or sound "scene", i do not know how to call it) is well located, well built, on the left and on centre only. The rest always plays low, is never well definite. It is poor.

My amplifier and speakers are working good and I do not have noises like this with other music - for example the Raiders CD or the Temple of Doom CD.

Thanks

Nicola

fiabane.nicola, December 3, 2008; 7:14 PM

So is this a problem with all the box sets out there? I haven't gotten mine, so I'm hoping not.

symetrisg, December 4, 2008; 5:51 PM

I have 2 boxsets, one from USA and one from UK.
Both of them have the same problem: the volume of right channel of Last Crusade is too low, I have to set balance right 130% higher than left channel, in order to get a good stereo effect sound quality !!! BAD !!!

tyuan74, December 4, 2008; 7:31 PM

I just listened through mine, and I didn't notice a thing. Maybe you really DID stumble upon a couple of bad pressings. Here's a couple of things you may want to take into consideration though:

Overall (and this was the case on the original CD as well), the orchestra seemed to be mixed pretty (and rather unusually)bright - that is to say that the higher instruments (violins, upper woodwinds, trumpets) seemed to be louder in the overall mix. The violins in particular seemed a touch overpowering - perhaps the section was a little larger than usual for the recording sessions. Also keep in mind that the violins and violas (in both film and classical orchestral settings) typically outnumber the cellos and basses 3 and sometimes 4 to 1.

Having said that, keep this in mind as well. Think about the typical layout of an orchestra. You have all your violins to the left (and left of center), violas in the center, cellos and basses on the right, low brass (bones and tuba) on the right, trumpets near center, French Horns centered and/or left of center, flutes and oboes center and left of center, lower woodwinds right and right of center, timpani on the right, snare and bass drum centered or usually left of center, pitched percussion on the left. For proper stereo effect, the ensemble will be miked in front and above, with solo and sectional instruments miked directly as needed. In a bright mix (as we have here) that could account for what might be perceived as a left-dominant mix.

Just a thought...

shehan23, December 5, 2008; 8:36 AM

I do think that people claiming to have audio problems with the Last Crusade disc know what they are talking about.

Again, I listened to it today:
- on my (excellent, if I may say so myself) sound system
- through headphones
- with the left channel muted
- with the right channel muted
... and it really sounds great, I can't find any glitches!

So to all of you who have this problem, I would suggest contacting your seller and ask for a replacement.
Sincerely, I wish you guys the best of luck in obtaining a flawless copy! After all, that's what you paid for.

rinse_dream, December 6, 2008; 9:11 AM

Contribute an answer