Forum - General Questions

Question

Anybody else a bit frustrated with limited editions?

So I just got my e-mail that the 2 disc set of Die Hard came out on La-La Land. Now I try to budget my soundtrack addiction every month, but when a soundtrack like Die Hard comes out and there's only 3,500 copies, I instantly am forced to buy it because I know it's going to sell out and cost $80 a week later on eBay. Sure enough, I bought it and La La Land was sold out of it 3 minutes later. It's just frustrating. Fortunately it seems other soundtrack collectors are getting a bit tired of this trend as well and unwilling to shell out huge money on eBay once the buzz has died down. I've seen pricey soundtracks like 'Link, Commando and The Deep' come down in price on eBay dramatically. The Limited Edition thing just makes it impossible to keep up with new releases.

shawndumont7, December 1, 2011; 1:48 AM

Answers

Well, if you look around online in the right places you can find lossless audio rips from many limited editions . It's the music company's loss for restricting the number of copies they make.

kriegerg69, December 1, 2011; 4:34 PM

Great topic. I do like Intrada's new business model where they don't set a specific number of units available for sale - they will produce so long as there is interest within a reasonable time frame instead of the "limited to 3000" gibberish. It started with their recent release of "The Core". It's definitely more consumer friendly and takes away the "buy now or you lose" pressure. I happened to have Tuesday off on extended vacation, so was able to order Die Hard but noticed tonight that it was sold out everywhere. That sucks because I know quite a few people wanted that score and not everyone was able to get a copy. Perhaps if they gave the consumer the option to purchase a new release as either the standard CD or a digital download that includes a PDF of the score notes (at a reduced rate) - they might be able to get more legitimate copies of the score out there, make more cash and invest in their next release. Something to that effect. I don't have much business acumen, but I think that sounds reasonable?

carloolrac, December 2, 2011; 3:53 AM

Why being frustrated with limited editions? Everything in life is limited
and nothing is produced forever and ever.

I'd rather reflect on the reason why some labels manage to create such
a ridiculous hype, while others need years to sell their stuff, Prometheus
for instance.

coma, December 2, 2011; 4:55 AM

Remember of course, that it costs a lot of time and money to produce and restore a score, not withstanding royalty performance fees due if a CD is produced above a certain amount; hence limited runs of around 3000.
In order for The Omega Man to be re-issued by FSM, they had to pay extra royalties to produce an unlimited supply.
We should all be grateful that these scores are released, full stop, and the companies are operating within the law, to release stuff that will sell, that will give them a return on all the work it takes to get them out.

graeme_watson, December 2, 2011; 3:59 PM

"We should all be grateful that these scores are released, full stop..."

Not when many of us are unable to get them BECAUSE they're limited pressings and sell out so quickly.

kriegerg69, December 3, 2011; 6:08 PM

Its an interesting one.

For example, La La Lands Commando sold out within 24hrs from La La Land and went pretty fast at re seller sites yet its back up for sale at moviemusic.com for the moment.

Don't get to stressed when you see "SOLD OUT". They pop up again sometimes. You just have to regularly visit these stores and you might get lucky.

http://www.screenarchives.com/index.cfm
http://www.moviemusic.com
http://buysoundtrax.stores.yahoo.net/index.html

Richie

richpags, December 6, 2011; 6:36 PM

Yeah, I know. I see that the La La Land 'Die Hard' score is already selling for $75 on eBay when the Movie Music Store has it for $25. If people would just do a little research. BTW, will anybody else be buying the 'Overboard' score? I loved this movie as a kid.

shawndumont7, December 6, 2011; 6:42 PM

I have always wondered if it's the labels themselves that are selling the discs on the second market. Why get $20 bucks when you can get $80.00. Who's to know how many they actually press?

amoni423, May 31, 2012; 2:54 PM

Contribute an answer