Forum - General Questions

Question

Wojciech Kilar - Konig der letzten Tage (Dominus Animae)

New edition of this title - is it pressed CD or CD-R?
Have someone this release and verify this?
On this page: http://www.cafepress.com/dominusanimae.58352414
click on "View Larger Product" - the disc shows some black numbers on inner ring characteristic for CD-R's. Can it be true?

althazan, March 7, 2007; 3:23 AM

Answers

Unfortunately it's only a CD-R.

squiddybop, March 7, 2007; 5:50 AM

Then I don't understand why is this edition present in soundtrackcollector database? Could someone explain this?
I thought there are only original factory pressed CD's...
Maybe I was wrong?

althazan, March 7, 2007; 5:56 AM

Yes, quite strange that they list CD-r... I thought Soundtrackcollector only listed legal and sometimes bootlegs releases...??
But that doesn't mean "soundtrackcollector" or any true soundtrack collector, should support bootlegs or CD-r!
I guess it's just a way of showing everyone what's "out there" and let them be aware of all different editions (legal or illegal copies)...

If someone has a better explanation?

davegaumann, March 7, 2007; 6:30 AM

It seems that Dominus Animae releases are perfectly legal, even if they are CD-Rs... but they are quite pricey CD-Rs...

milio.latimer, March 7, 2007; 10:50 AM

Stop complaining about CD-R recordings....they can be quite legit and even companies like Percepto have done some such releases.

kriegerg69, March 7, 2007; 8:22 AM

... and 1M1 .

By the way I think everything should be listed as it can be used as information for the collectors. Sometimes it's hard to know if you're dealing with a bootleg or not - even for long time expert collectors.

birnam, March 7, 2007; 2:35 PM

Agreed....even bootlegs should be listed here for precisely that reason: to have the information for reference, regardless of whether it's a legit release or not

kriegerg69, March 7, 2007; 4:32 PM

I think a real collector is interested in having the music to listen to one way or the other. If that person ends up with a non official release I dont think they really care. Its the music after all. This particular Kilar album is excellent so hooray its a cd-r

dspin24358, March 8, 2007; 6:41 AM

I agree collector is interested in having the music any kind, but I think it should be marked by the edition in database.
I have some bootlegs myself, but I would like to know there is or there isn't proper pressed edition of any CD I'm interested in.

althazan, March 8, 2007; 6:46 AM

Hello Folks,

Dominus Animae is my legitimate label - to be clear, all scores are fully licensed. My method of manufacture and distribution is via CafePress services; it is an avenue of production available to me and as unorthodoxed as it is, it works quite well. When I first contemplated the whole endeavour I was skeptical about what the end product would look like, but after receiving some test pieces I was won over. I would not have pressed forward if the quality wasn`t acceptable.

The first two releases on my label, DAIKATANA and RUNE, have a few rough edges from a layout perspective. I would hope however that those releases would still compare favourably to (for example) some of Varese Sarabande`s first few releases that I remember from so long ago. I also hope that artistically the layouts properly reflect the atmospheres of the respective scores.

RUNE and Konig der letzten Tage are my own personal favourites, musically. Ghost Master and The Module Age showcase exceptional compositional talent, and Act Of War is one of the more ambitious warfare/intrigue scores from a period when gaming wasn`t quite the blatant commercial vehicle it is now (even merely a year or two ago).

Unconventional but completely legit. Thanks for your time, everyone.

shunter, March 10, 2007; 3:11 PM

Contribute an answer